Saturday, April 01, 2006

Humor Is Healing


The Old Testament even references the healing properties of humor: "A merry heart doeth good like a medicine." Although Jews know intuitively about humor...(believe me, we've have had a lot of experience over the centuries with number four)

Well now we know a few things scientifically.

According to Maud Purcell (LCSW, CEAP) in her article The Healing Power of Humor

Humour does many things:

1) Reduces pain--Our bodies produce pain-killing hormones called endorphins in response to laughter.

2) Strengthens immune function -- A good belly laugh increases production of T-cells, interferon and immune proteins called globulins.

3) Decreases stress--When under stress, we produce a hormone called cortisol. Laughter significantly lowers cortisol levels and returns the body to a more relaxed state.

4) Helps put life's trials and tribulations into healthy perspective by making them seem smaller.

5) Aids us in overcoming fear.

6) Allows us to take ourselves less seriously.

7) Triggers our creativity.

Ms. Purcell goes on to say, "You have a choice: You can continue to be a 'grown-up,' and let all of the frustrations and disappointments in life weigh you down, or you can introduce levity into even the toughest circumstances. "

6 comments:

Mike Exum said...

Thats great. I notice the "-God" billboard is in Texas. That's about par. I have seen a few of those type signs around West Texas, but I figure there is a lot more around East Texas. (I'm not really Texan, but I have been here a long time. Foreign culture to me in a lot of ways.)

Texas is the West end of the Bible Belt. It is also a legendary country, where people think everything is BIG. Lubbock chamber of commerce (or whoever it is that promotes Lubbock) came up with a new ad slogan last year calling us "The Giant Side of Texas".

(Now personally, I call myself a 'westerner' because I am from Texas (a little) and especially from everywhere West of here.) In Colorado we had bigger mountains. In Arizona we had bigger temperatures and bigger bugs. In California we had bigger amuzement parks and earthquakes. And I have heard of Alaskans threating to split their state in order to make Texas the 3rd largest state in the Union. (Tall tale designed to bring Texans down a notch.) So, what Texas is actually BIG on is attitude. (and some killer BBQ and a few other things.)

So, I say all of this, noting the sign mentions Texas at the bottom of it, and that I have seen some of these signs around here, so that I can point out that it is typical to find Texans presuming to speak for "-God" in my experience. And, I suppose, I think that is a little humorous.

Speaking of funny, we got this Texan who calls himself Tater Salad. I think he is funny, when not too offensive or sad. (in my book he is a mixture.) But he is from Fritch, TX just down the road from my wife's hometown, and he knows how to strike the cord I'm fummbling.

So, with that, I'll keep my day job, and go back to pondering Jesus.

Adios & many blessins' ya'll...

Da Katz & Reni said...

Well G-d's got a sense of humor ya know.

He and my big brother played dis big practical joke on me...

and now I can't find the bloomin window ledge.

Reni.
^..^

Da Katz & Reni said...

and to tell you the truth...

I mean my real big brother.. not just my "distant cousin" Richard.

I think Michael (my brother who is not on this planet right now) must have a Heavenly assignment...

TO LOOK AFTER HIS KID SISTER!!!

unregistered text offender said...

It can however cause you to hyperventalate, possibly resulting in death.
A jokes a dangerous thing don't you know.

Da Katz & Reni said...

That's why I am the founder of the Laughter Safety Valve Commission...

Yes, unregulated comedy can be dangerous...

Never consult a professional...

just take his hat while he's not looking.

^..^

archi ann said...

doing my late night insomniac thing and found this entry - good stuff

old post i realize but still good stuff

l8r,
carri ann
aka archi's mum